Welcome to the Kindness Clubhouse!
I am excited to have you here to get tips and resources to help you show more kindness. In this post I focus on ways that you can show kindness to yourself.
For me, this is the toughest part to learn because I grew up being taught that the focus should be on other people. BUT the whole reason I chose for the “R” in Let’s R.O.C.K. to stand for “radiate” is because for something to radiate it must come from a center point.
So…. to Radiate Outrageous Compassion & Kindness (R.O.C.K.) you need to show that compassion & kindness to yourself.
I hope you enjoy these tips!
If you want to change how you talk to yourself and be more positive, you have to start where your thoughts start – in the mind. This can be as easy or as challenging as you make it. You are in control of your thoughts and how you react to situations. But, as much as you want a positive mindset and are taking the steps towards it – things happen and it is easy to let the negative self talk back in. If that is how it is for you – try these tips – they were a game changer for me.
Tip #1 to Talk more Positive to yourself – Daily Affirmations
Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.
– Brene Brown
A daily affirmation is a positive statement you say to yourself each day. It is a great way to combat the negative self talk and it challenges the thoughts you have about yourself.
- Write down some positive “I am” statements and say them each day. “I am kind.” “I am making a difference”. “What I do today is important.”
- Consistency in saying these affirmations are key. Just like anything else you do – to be good at it you need practice.
- Write down some statements and put in your purse so you have them ready to grab when you feel negative thoughts enter your mind or you catch yourself in negative self-tale.
Tip #2 to Talk more Positive to yourself – Practice Gratitude
Change expectations for gratitude and the world instantly changes
– Tony Robbins
I have found that when I constantly think about things I am thankful for, I feel more positive and I started to talk to myself in a different way. I feel blessed and humbled that such wonderful things are in my life.
- Each morning make a list of 5 things I am thankful for
- Write a thank you note to someone – even if you never send it
- Do an act of kindness for someone – it makes you feel good and may help another person’s day.
Tip #3 to Talk more Positive to yourself – Find out what causes the Negative thoughts and feelings
Everything you tell yourself matters. It can feel like a punch or like a hug – your choice.
Have you ever started your day thinking it was going to be great but then someone makes a snarky comment or you make a mistake and that awesome day gets thrown against the wall, trampled on, and stabbed right through the heart? Think about what causes it to happen and know that you aren’t always able to prevent the situation BUT prepare yourself to know its not you.
- Make a list of things that happen that get your day off track. Why do you think they create a negative response?
- Practice your responses to those situations or what you can say to yourself when they do happen
- Continue working on your mindset each morning
Tip #4 to Talk more Positive to yourself – Surround yourself with Positive Things
If you surround yourself with positive people who build you up – the sky is the limit. – Joel Brown
If you want to think more positively and act with more kindness, you need things (and people) around you that serve as reminders. There are some really inspiring quotes that I put around my office and tape on my desk that help me. Then, when something happens, and I look down in frustration, the quote is right there where I see it, and reminds me that it is how I react that makes a difference.
This is especially helpful in how I reflect kindness back to someone else and has saved me from snapping back.
- Search on Pinterest for quotes and images that you can print out
- Find a poster you love or a desk accessory and use it for decor
- Wearable quotes will go with you through the day – I love these bracelets and necklaces that are constant reminders.
Tip #5 to Talk more Positive to yourself – Podcasts & Audio books
Your mind is a powerful thing. When you fill it up with positive thoughts your life will start to change.
When I realized that I was starting my workday in a negative way and I found out the cause – I knew I had a substitute what was causing the negative with something more positive. Since my commute to work each day is about 30 minutes, I started listening to Podcasts and Audiobooks. I found some encouraging and uplifting people to listen to and then had it play from my favorite app while I was driving.
I listen to all my podcasts on PodCoin. It has everything that iTunes has but you get to earn coins that you can put towards gift cards or donate to some of your favorite causes. (use kimufexl to get started with 150 coins right now!)
Audible is wonderful for listening to the books that I don’t have time to read during the day. It is great for professional development and I am excited once I get to work because there is usually an idea I got from listening that I can then try out.
When I made this simple change, my students and staff noticed it almost immediately. They said I walked to my office with more energy and a more positive vibe.
Just for visiting the Project Stella Resources blog, you can get a free trial to Audible and get 2 free books that you can keep!
Bonus Tip – Make a Difference for a cause you are passionate about!
Complete Guide for Student Leaders to Plan Meaningful Service Projects
For the purpose-driven student looking to be a leader on campus and make a massive impact on the world.
Here’s what I already know about you.
- You are a passionate, purpose driven leader who wants to make a difference in your community
- You are a high-achiever and want to use your skills and talents to serve a greater purpose
- You want to be an Agent of Change and provide solutions to problems and injustices around you.
- You want to get clear on your vision and how to make the most positive impact you can
You want to leave a legacy…
This Complete Guide for Student Leaders to Plan Service Projects is THE step-by-step course for the driven student who is serious about creating positive change that lives on long after you leave campus.
You Want: Clarity, Support, and a Step-by-Step Action Plan
If you know you could benefit from the daily support from other student leaders just like you, specific how-to strategies, as well as the what to do direction from someone who’s been there before you…and who can save you a lot of time and effort so you reach your dreams 10 times faster.
Then YES this is the course is for you!
Like attracts like – when you surround yourself with big dreamers, it totally rubs off on you. That energy and focus can be unreal!!
Support is everything.
Being an “Agent of Change” can be lonely. You had a passion and will do anything to make it happen but you risk putting academics and a social life to the side. Your friends don’t seem to understand that language you are speaking.
This program includes a community of other students so you get that support and build relationships!
You also have easy to implement action steps so you can set aside time to still have a social life and study for your classes.
Imagine that you get to learn from the leader who has done it before and received recognition from the President of the United States AND served with the Corporation for National and Community Service. You get all of their secrets that to create a service program that changes lives. You also get to learn from all of the other members of the group. Best resources to develop community partners? How to recruit volunteers? Strategies to raise money and get sponsors for a successful project?
Someone in the group has probably done it and you can work together to help each other out.
Sick of trying to do this whole thing all by yourself?
You need this program.
Why take this Course?
- In high school, I told my counselor that I wanted to make a difference. I received the Ray A Kroc Youth Achievement award for my community service efforts (and free McDonald’s for a year).
- Then I received a full-tuition scholarship for being an Outstanding Student in Community Service.
- In college, I started the first Colleges Against Cancer organization which spread to universities all over the United States and gave me the opportunity to plan youth conferences (regional and national) with the American Cancer Society.
- My volunteer efforts earned state and national recognition – the youngest recipient of the 13WMAZ Straight for the Heart Award, Daily Points of Light Honoree, and Presidential Volunteer Service Award Lifetime Achievement.
- I now serve as a Director of Student Engagement with 18 years of experience training student leaders to succeed and am a Chapter Advisor of The National Society of Leadership and Success.
Training student leaders to make a difference is my passion!
And I am here to support you so your dream comes true.
The Game Plan
When you first enroll in the course you will schedule a 30 minute private session where we discuss your passion and the program you would like to create. Even if you just have a general idea, we will create a step-by-step plan so you are ready to begin.
Course: 8 Modules, 36 Mini-Lessons
You will have access to work through the course at your own pace. There are 8 modules with 36 mini lessons (3-4 minute videos) that take you through Creating a Vision, Finding a Community Partner, Developing a Team, Creating a Buzz, Planning Logistics, Evaluating your Project, and Celebrating Success.
Private Facebook Community
Yes! Access to me and the group whenever you need it. We use the Facebook community so you can ask any questions and get feedback without any judgement. The community is seriously priceless! We speak your language!
I want this! What’s the Investment?
This course provides you with life-changing strategies and is valued at $597. — BUT since I know how it is to be that “broke college student” who wants to help — you can get LIFETIME ACCESS for just $97.
I NEED THIS! What do I do Next?
Enroll now in the course. Watch the introduction video and schedule your kick-off call. Join the Facebook Community. We’ll start working through your action steps so you start making a difference and changing the world.